Since 2019 Society Wellbeing
Tenkasi block in Tamil Nadu is an area where large portion of the population lives below the poverty line. Most of the people are agricultural laborers. Their income is very low and they live in poor environments, as well as in poor economic conditions. The population also suffers from low literacy rates and a lack of awareness of social conditions. Due to this, they fall prey to the evils of drugs and alcohol and spend most of their income on alcohol.
Nowadays, using drugs is also prevalent among students which spoils their education and career. The harassment of women, poor living conditions, and deterioration of the health of the family can all be attributed to addiction to alcohol and drugs.
Sri Ramakrishna Seva Nilayam decided that it is vital to create awareness by a method of preventive education and establishing a treatment and rehabilitation Centre in the Tenkasi block to wipe out the evil of addiction to alcohol and drugs†. In 2001, the awareness project was started and in 2019, the de-addiction centre SAI SHAKTHI DE-ADDICTION CENTRE was started.
Services provided by the project are:
- Alcohol recovery
- Yoga, Meditation
- Panchakarma treatment
- Spiritual guidance
- Individual and Family Counselling
Some of the features of the project during the financial year 2021-2022 were:
- 30 beds are present in the Centre
- 6 mobile screening camps have been conducted
- 390 in-patients were successfully treated
- Apart from medicines, counselling and yoga therapy are given to the addicts to increase the rate of cure
- More than 100 beneficiaries were given work place support for rehabilitation purpose
- Awareness and motivation building training is being given to youth, Self Help Group (SHG) members and labourers in 25 Places
- 12 Family Therapy Residential Camp for patients’ spouses were conducted
† Few years ago, when the project Shakthi De-Addiction Centre was in effect, Sri Ramakrishna Seva Nilayam had volunteered for a research study, "A Study On Effectiveness Of Social Work Counselor's In De-Addiction Centers With Special Reference To Sri Ramakrishna Seva Nilayam Tenkasi, Triunelveli District" (Journal DOI : 10.15373/22778160), in which the effectiveness of Social Work Counsellors to promote psychological well-being of the alcohol dependents has been ascertained.